Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Lake House

I hope everyone had a relaxing Memorial Day. We really didn't do much worth blogging about, unless you count Sunday when Chad helped my dad do yard work at the lake house and my step-mom disposed of a mouse that had died in the trash can. Ew. Figured you didn't want to hear about it.

It is officially here...summertime. It's my favorite time of the year - I'm a Carolina girl, remember? We live for the summertime...the other seasons are just waiting for summer to roll around. Actually, the other seasons don't get that cold so we can wear our Rainbows all the time, but I digress.

Going back to the lake house for the first time in 3 years this past weekend made me remember everything I loved and still love about summer. The lake house is like stepping back in time for me...probably because nothing has changed there in twenty years. Which is nice (except that things get kind of crusty with old age and updates need to be done for me to feel 100% comfortable showering there) because as soon as I walked in the door I was assaulted by the smell of the place. And no, I don't mean the dead mouse. It was just the smell of so many summers past...I don't know, it was weird. But it made me get excited about summertime...and my following is a list of things that go with summer like angel food cake goes with strawberries...

- Windows down, radio up, preferrably to something old school like the Eagles or Sir Elton ("Tiny Dancer")

- Rainbow flipflops...$40 of the best footwear known to man

- Dresses - you can't get through a Carolina summer without a slew of them - and usually, down here, they're worn with Rainbows, or something tacky, flashy, and boutiquey...but they are flops, ya'll!

- Shagging, and by shagging I mean the official dance of SC!

- Wine nights on the porch...either at your BFF's or on mine...hers is sometimes preferrable b/c of the screen!!!

- Lake Hartwell, Lake Keowee, Lake Greenwood, Lake Joccassee...just give me the lake!

- Beach trips...IOP, OIB, HH, SI, MB...if you don't know what they mean, come to SC and we'll set you straight!

- Cook outs...any night when there's a breeze will do - slather on the Skin So Soft, ya'll

- Playing cards until the wee hours...there's something comforting about an old kitchen table, a worn in stack of cards, and a little 5 card draw

- A good book to read at the beach or lake...it's a must and maybe this week I'll recommend some good ones to you

Everyone has their own summer traditions...those are just a few of mine...

No comments: