Monday, June 15, 2009

Doin' the Mashed Potato

I wish I had something really interesting to share with ya'll, but honestly, this weekend was spent lounging by the pool eating fresh cherries and boiled peanuts (nope, I'm not pregnant - I just naturally have an aversion to eating foods that actually go together). In my opinion, no food says "summer time" than boiled peanuts, preferably eaten on a boat while driving down the lake. We weren't at the lake this weekend, but there was water involved, albeit semi-murky pool water, but whatever. I also like my peanuts cold. I am weird.

The funniest part of the weekend? Teaching my SIL how to make homemade mashed potatoes. Seriously. Please remember that this girl comes from a family that KNOWS how to cook Southern cuisine. Grandma E even gave us canned scuppernog jelly last weekend (canned herself), so when SIL and I were discussing what to have with chicken last night and SIL said "the mashed potatoes in the box", I almost fell over. Um, no. I do consider myself somewhat of a mashed potato connoisseur and mashed potatoes out of the box WILL NOT CUT IT. Period. I like my potatoes fresh and not freeze dried into hard flakes. It's more unnatural than eating cherries and boiled peanuts together. So last night I taught SIL to make mashed potatoes. I wish I had pictures to post, like the ones when she was asking me WHY we had to cut up 5 lbs of golden potatoes and I just laughed at her.

So, to join my recipe for Paranormal Chili Beans (the only reason in the world I would ever want it to be cold again), here is the recipe for my Mama's Mashed Potatoes.

What You Need:

5 lb bag of small potatoes
Butter (I like Country Crock, but my mama was a Blue Bonnet girl)
Whole Milk
Salt 'n Pepper

Directions:

1. Peel potatoes. I like to leave a little bit of potato skin on some. I feel like it makes the whole dish healthier.

2. Cut potatoes into small chunks and place in pot of salted water.

3. Boil on medium-high until potatoes are soft - you will have to sample them to know for sure when they are right.

4. Drain potato slices.

5. Start mashing, either with a hand masher or an electric hand mixer. Either works. Add salt and pepper to taste. Start adding milk slowly! This is key - Mama always said that you can put more in, but you can't take it out.

6. Add butter to taste - don't skimp on the butter. These are mashed potatoes. And they have peel in them so they are healthy enough. Don't be afraid of the Country Crock.

TAAA-DAAAA! Just like my SIL, you have homemade mashed potatoes. Now go ahead and eat three servings like I did last night (and so did everyone else). Delish!

No comments: