Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Just A Day, Just An Ordinary Day

I'm on my second cup of coffee this morning. Work pressures are mounting as I have a project to complete today and as of right now, I am two people short. My new shoes that I was in love with at 7:00 this morning are hurting my feet and they squeak when I walk - so loudly that my boss and co-worker joked about it.

But I couldn't be happier or more content.

Sometimes ordinary days are the best days. No drama, no worry (thanks to Cymbalta  -the medication is doing its thing) - just another pretty fall-like day in my favorite part of the world. And I get to go home to the best husband in the world at 5:30. Not a very fancy home - a pretty ordinary one. But sometimes ordinary is good. Sometimes ordinary brings out the extraordinary in person.

This morning, hubby called me and asked me what a methadone clinic was. Even though I watch "Intervention" with the best of them, I am not really that up to speed on what methadone is or what it's used for or why it's so important that there is an actual clinic for it. Turns out, it is a clinic for recovering heroin addicts who use methadone as a substitute to endure withdrawals. Why do I even care? Because my husband and his kind hearted self picked up a young, pregnant girl that he saw walking on the side of the road when he was on his way to class this morning. That was her destination - the methadone clinic.

I was furious at Chad. He was ruining my ordinary morning with what I thought was stupidity. It made me worry for his safety, and, truth be told, his sanity - picking up a strange person who obviously has problems. But then I stopped and thought about it. Who doesn't have problems? Some are just a lot more obvious and noticeable than others. Some people can't help that there addictions and vices are displayed for the whole world to judge. And where would the world be if there weren't people like my husband, people who will still stop and ask if a stranger needs help?

Just an ordinary day with an extraordinary act of kindness thrown in for good measure.

Mark 12:31 (The Message)


29-31Jesus said, "The first in importance is, 'Listen, Israel: The Lord your God is one; so love the Lord God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence and energy.' And here is the second: 'Love others as well as you love yourself.' There is no other commandment that ranks with these."

1 comment:

Katie said...

Great Post! You have an extraordinary husband.