Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ashes to Ashes

Today is the first day of the Lenten season which means that time is speeding toward my very favorite holiday of all, Easter Sunday. I went to TJ Maxx yesterday to find some things for a brunch I'm throwing next weekend and noticed all the beautiful Easter decorations that were out and about. They were right on the heels of the deeply discounted Valentine's Day decorations, which is a little bit sad and, I believe, says a lot about our fast paced society. We can't get through one holiday without having to hurry up and prepare for another (take note, Hobby Lobby...I'm talking to you).

I adore Easter. I remember the time leading up to Easter Sunday as nothing but pure pleasure as a child. My mom always made a big deal out of Easter - we had the Easter tree, the fun Easter-y goodies, and of course I had a Longaberger Easter basket. For those of you who aren't familiar with Longaberger, let me just say...it was very cool 1980's home decor and my mom was a very cool home decorator, so duh, we had Longaberger stuff.

Chad and I haven't been very involved in a particular church lately, which makes me sad, and also makes me realize, on this Ash Wednesday, how little time we have to celebrate our Savior on this earth. "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust." I feel very much like the time is now for us to get involved. I also don't want to be known as a "Church Creature" - you know, one that only attends church on Christmas and Easter.

That is not how I was raised and not how I want to raise my children.

Thankfully, this whole season is about one thing...grace and redemption. The Heavenly Father that I know is not short on either which is good because I need a whole bunch on a daily basis!

I hope this Ash Wednesday is a time of reflection for you, as it is for me...

No comments: