Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bare-ly There

On Monday, I was able to go with my friend, Chelle, to Urban Nirvana for a much needed facial, eyebrow wax, and massage. This is all because my generous grandmother, ME, gave me a gift certificate for Christmas - so thank you thank you thank you again, ME! :)

I was introduced to the world of facials several years ago, and even though I don't get to go very often because I'm broke and know that it's a luxury I can't afford unless someone buys it for me, I am amazed every time - both at the estheticians' knowledge and their ability to talk me into buying things. This time they got me good.

I will admit it - I am a skin freak and I'm always after the latest and greatest to make my skin fabulous. I think this slight obsession stems from the fact that I have had Keratosis Pilaris (KP) all my life and have done nearly everything to get rid of it short of laser treatment (and only because that's too expensive right now). Thankfully, I don't have THAT severe of a case and it's only on my upper arms and a bit on my thighs. It's not an unusal skin condition and it's not harmful, just not very attractive.

My esthetician noticed it and suggested Phytomer bar soap. She said it was a miracle worker. Um...SOLD for $19.50. For a bar of soap. Then, I asked her her opinion on using ProActive products. She was against them. I knew she was going to say that. Unfortunately, I had just bought a month's supply because my brand new Clinique 3-step was making my face resemble a pizzeria. She suggested Skin Authority's Exfoliating Cleanser...for $38.50. Gulp. SOLD. Again. AND she wanted me to purchase Skinceuticals Emolliance Moisturizer for $55. I passed on that because I didn't want hubby to pass out when he saw that I had spent my entire gift certificate in one spa visit plus more. I settled on just spending the whole gift certificate.

Oh, one other thing...my esthetician recommended Bare Esscentuals makeup and concealer. So of course, because she is an esthetician and is the skin guru, I went to Ulta and am now the proud owner of a Bare Minerals makeup starter set. Which I'm wearing today.

Do I feel glowy and fresh in my barely there mineral makeup? Oh yeah. Does my skin look and feel better after using the products I purchased? Definitely. Amazing how a $20 bar of soap can make you feel on top of the world.  Do I feel like an idiot for spending that much money on beauty products? You betcha.

But seriously...sometimes a girl has to do what a girl has to do to feel good. :)

No comments: