Friday, September 4, 2009

C-L-E-M-S-O-N

That time of year is officially upon us, as the Carolina Gamecocks had a victory over NC State last night, officially heralding in the arrival of that most sacred of seasons...college football in the South. It truly is its own religion, y'all. And its own economy, as people pay the biggest of big bucks to have the best tailgating spot, the best season tickets, and the best accoutrements to celebrate the season.

In South Carolina, there are really only two choices to pull for: either you are a Clemson  Tiger or a Carolina Chicken Gamecock. There is no in between - you are either orange or red. And you will fight to defend your team/coach/city of play until the death. It is THAT serious.

Today is what I lovingly refer to as "game day" at work. It is the day that everyone comes in sporting their team colors. And today its an orange top and jeans for me because, well, my blood runneth orange. See, I really didn't have a choice as to who my team would be. I grew up only 20 miles from Clemson, grew up going to various games (if sporadically), and Daddy would always be watching the game on Saturday. Unfortunately, he switched sides when he married my step-mother (a die hard Gamecock, she is from the Spartanburg area and actually graduated from USC, so I forgive her), but I still love him. Even though its become somewhat uncomfortable discussing sports whenever the legendary Clemson/Carolina game takes place in November.

Tomorrow, the Tigers run down the Hill for the first time this season what has been called "the most exciting 25 seconds in college football." Thousands upon thousands of fans will be cheering the fight song and the season will surge forward in a sea of orange and purple. It's here. C-L-E-M-S-O-N T-I-G-E-R-S...


No comments: