Thursday, September 17, 2009

We Went, We Saw, We Ate Chinese

Just to remind you, one of our second year marriage resolutions is to kick our fitness schedule up a notch. And by "up a notch" I mean getting up off the couch and doing some sort of physical activity. As all of you know, I was a proud (if semi non-active) Jazzercise member since April and it was costing us $42 a month (not that bad). The only downside was the scheduling - I would only be able to make it to classes at 6:30, be done at 7:30 and not get home until 8:00. When you arrive at work by 7:30 in the a.m. (or 7:45ish, in my case), that is what I consider a REALLY. LONG. DAY.

So hubby suggested that we start going to his university's wellness center together. And it would only be $25 a month for me to join. SO...let's just weigh our options...getting to spend more time with my hubby (check), almost HALF OFF what we were normally paying (check), having to work out among mere children who have yet to see the appearance of  fine lines around their eyes (not so much a check)....anyway, the point is, the pros outweighed the cons and we decided to be like Nike and just do it, so I canceled my Jazzercise membership.

On Monday evening, I drove home to meet Chad, changed into my work out clothes, and we were on our way to the wellness center. We drove up and went in and signed up. The people helping us were obviously college kids, probably wondering who the uncool married couple was wanting to use the facilities. I already felt tired. And a little embarassed because every person I had seen up until that point was under the legal drinking age.

Hubby was excited to show me around, and, I must admit, it is one heck of a wellness center. Three stories, with a pool, steam rooms, and work out machines with TVs attached. And heck no, I'm not kidding! Hopefully I will be able to get some quality television time while working out! I just love killing two birds with one stone. It took both Hubby and me some time to figure out how to work the machines and we still couldn't figure out how to turn the little attached TVs on. No matter. I'm sure it's just technology that we old folks aren't aware of yet.

Unfortunately, I didn't feel the pressing need to get my fitness on (I think my yoga pants were too tight), so, after touring the facilities, wondering why the raquet ball rooms were closed for construction, and being completely intimdated by the pool and wondering how in the world I would get in without some 19 year-old svelte girl staring at me in my tankini, I turned to hubby and said "Can we go now? I'm starving." Because he is the sweet man God created just for me, he nodded happily in agreement and away we went - not to a healthy place for a nice salad, but to a local Chinese buffet - you know the kind...frog legs beside lo mein, steamed crawfish next to the Jell-O. A real classy place where they never run out of egg rolls and trust me, you don't EVEN want to try the sushi.

So I have actually seen and set foot in the wellness center. That's one thing down. And I'm not concerned. I'm sure it will be there next week.

No comments: