Tuesday, January 5, 2010

nook-Alicious

I love books beyond belief and comprehension and have since I was a child. I love going into a Barnes & Noble and seeing the pretty and neat shelves lined with the latest and greatest, a Starbucks treat waiting for me to enjoy as I browse. I also love used books stores...our local Fiction Addiction and Mr. K's - that distinctive scent of old pages that have been turned by loving hands, some books old, some books bearing inscriptions on the inside covers. Books are magic to me and everyone in my life knows it.

Which is why they were completely flabbergasted when I told them that my very existence depended on receiving a nook for Christmas. To a lover of the written word, an e-reading device is blasphemy in the highest form. It is the forgoing of everything we book lovers relish...the smell, the feel, the enjoyment of turning pages. It is also a completely ingenious way to store mass amounts of books into a small, aesthetically pleasing device with a perfect leather cover that fits oh so perfectly on my bursting at the seams built-ins.

I had to have it.

As this Christmas drew near, my parents remained mum on whether or not I would be the recipient of the coveted nook. I read news reports that talked about how B&N was back ordered with nook requests and most people would not even receive theirs until well after the New Year.

So I talked myself into not REALLY wanting a nook because I figured that I probably wouldn't get it.

However, when Christmas Day rolled around and I opened one package (that was definitely NOT in the shape of a nook - my parents, the perpetual tricksters) and lo and behold, I had it. Complete with a beautiful nook holder in red.

Ladies and gentleman, I must say that I am in love with my nook. I can take it anywhere and purchase any book that B&N offers...all from the comfort of my house, thanks to the built in Wi-Fi. I have finished at least one book and am currently reading one now - all brand new books that do not come in paperback yet, for the purchase price of $9.99 each. I kid you not. And they download within seconds of me telling my nook that I wish to purchase them. It is a book addict's dream.

It's nookAlicious.


No comments: