Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Philosophical Argument

Hubby is taking a class called "Contemporary Moral Issues" this semester. It's basically a class that talks about, well, contemporary issues and morality (hence the name - a creative one, I must say). He's all into these really abstract arguments and discussions that go on and, being the little intelligent sponge that he is, wants to come home and share with me. Which is fine, but after a day of talking on the phone to people with a less than average intelligence level, your own intelligence level goes down a notch. I was most definitely not in the "wax philosophical mood" tonight.

Our conversation on the way to Wendy's (WENDY'S PEOPLE!) went something like this:

Hubby: So today in my contemporary moral issues class we were talking about God. What is omnipotent?

Me: Um...I think it means "all surrounding" and "all powerful"...or something.

Hubby: (More stuff about God and how there's a catch 22 because God couldn't make a rock that He couldn't pick up) So why does 2 + 2 = 4? I mean, what made it that way?

Me: Huh? (Focused on my upcoming dinner of chili and a baked potato)

Hubby: I just feel like you aren't going to like me being a teacher.

Me: (Getting pissed off because I DON'T KNOW WHY 2+2=4 AND I DON'T CARE AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS HAS TO DO WITH HIM WANTING TO TEACH MIDDLE SCHOOLERS) Why do you say that? (Said pissed off too)

Hubby: Because I want to talk about this stuff and you never want to listen.

Me: (Realizing that my chili and baked potato will come at a price) I do listen. But I'm not in class and I don't understand really what you're talking about! And it really hurts my feelings that you don't think I won't listen to you when you're a teacher (I will, I will, I promise, just FEED ME)...

Anyway, obviously there was more to the conversation, but you have a life to lead. The moral of this philosophical argument is this:

To get to the food, one must be agreeable. Especially if the disagreeable person is driving.

No comments: